Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Eulogy for an Immersion Blender

I'm a bit of a foodie. I love to eat, I love to cook. I am happiest when I'm getting a big meal together, or decorating a cake, as much as I might complain. I get a glass of wine, turn on some music and dance my way around the kitchen while making dinner. I can have a 50 point discussion about cilantro, love it or hate it and I'm a groupie of chefs. I get together with my foodie friends and watching cooking shows, swap recipes, roast a turkey and drink wine. I am one day going to die a horrible death being buried under a mountain of cooking magazines that I have yet to archive. Get the picture?

I fancy myself a pretty darned good cook, at least that is what everyone tells me, maybe they're just afraid of me, but I'll take them at their word. And every good cook needs good tools. Having only been able to afford good tools in the past two years, a lot of my current selection needs to be retired. However I grow attached to certain things that I work with frequently, ones that don't jam up or break down, that serve me faithfully day in and out, and none has been more faithful than my immersion blender. It died as it lived, beating the hell out of food and with my vision, us creating a beautiful masterpiece of food splendor. Here are my final respects.

My beautiful immersion blender. You've followed me out of the inner city community I grew up with, where as a girl, I destroyed my mother's kitchen with you experimenting on many fantastical dishes. I sowed the seeds of my Martha-dom by trying to make homemade mayonnaise, mustard and ketchup with the limited amount of ingredients my mother's minimum wages could buy. As I grew up, you joined me in making whipped cream and smoothies. You've tried so hard to get me to lose weight, alas, even an appliance as mighty as you failed, but you stuck by me. As my ability to afford better ingredients, and cookbooks grew, you joined me on quests to make more dishes, each more beautiful than the next. You plowed along with me as I tackled the dreaded gravy, and you showed me how to rock it! As I became a mother, you tenderly mashed up the veggies and fruit I'd cook, right in the pot, so I had limited clean up. You did not put one scratch on my Lagostina's and I loved you for it, I still do.

You died a valiant death taking on some frozen berries and juice. I shouldn't have taxed you, being 20+ years old, you deserved to take it easy, but I know you'd never have it that way. I don't know if I'll ever find another appliance that I will love as much as you (well, other than my KitchenAid stand mixer, but you always knew you could never compete with it, and STILL, you stood by me) You will always be fondly remembered as the destroyer of flour lumps in so many beautiful sauces and gravies. Maker of baby food extraordinaire. Slim Fast buddy, and master of disguising veggies in sauces so a certain 4 year old can grow up big and health, despite his wishes to avoid veggies at all costs.

I will have to move on, gravies, sauces, veggies undercover and smoothies await, but you will always be my first, my true and my only immersion blender. Rest in peace dear friend, and know that I will never sucuumb to the temptation of one of those big clunky crappy blenders, you started it, and I'll never disrespect your memory

Love, MamaJoy.

No comments: